Late-Night Fire Damages Cedar Falls Home
A kitchen fire slightly damaged a Cedar Falls home late Thursday.
Firefighters and public safety officers were called to 1807 Birch Street shortly before 10 PM. When crews arrived, they discovered the home filled with smoke.
According to Public Safety Tim Smith, the homeowner heard smoke alarms going off inside the residence when she arrived home. The woman entered the house and threw water on the fire.
Investigators determined the fire was started by a florescent light fixture, which heated up. Smith said the plastic cover got hot and melted onto the kitchen floor, starting the fire.
Fire crews and public safety officers removed the light fixture and ventilated the home, Smith said.
No injuries were reported.